COVID 19 has hit all of us around the country, so now more than ever it is vital that we all work together to build back our communities. For this reason, 24 Dublin Credit Unions have joined forces and created a campaign that focuses on 3 main objectives: Stay Local, Borrow Local and Spend Local.
The Credit Union has always been at the heart of the community through good times and bad, we are not driven by profit and always put our Members first (there is a reason we have been voted No.1 for customer experience for a record 5 years straight). While social distancing guidelines are telling us to stay apart, they are also keeping local communities together. Now more than ever we, play your part in your community by supporting small local businesses, after all, they make up the backbone of every community.
We have heard some amazing stories around our communities while the country has been on lockdown, from checking on neighbours, to delivering groceries to the elderly cocooning, community spirit has exploded and it really shows what can be done when we work together. Now that the country is slowly reopening, we are asking all of our Members and the wider communities to restrict their movement to help prevent the spread of the virus.
Why you should stay local
- You stop the spread of the Coronavirus
- You keep people safe, healthy and strong
- You build new relationships with your neighbours
- You reach out to the vulnerable and elderly in your area
- You enhance Community Spirit
Did you know? Last year Credit Unions issued almost 3 billion in loans, most of which went back into the local economy.
Your local Credit Union is also a small business and requires your support. Credit Unions are reliant on the issuing of loans to generate income so please consider the Credit Union as your first port of call for any borrowing requirements.
We have heard numerous stories of people borrowing from quick moneylenders out of panic while unaware of the alarmingly high-interest rates to be paid at the end of the loan. We highly recommend that you avoid these moneylenders and stick to your local Credit Union. If you find yourself in this situation, contact your local Credit Union today to switch and save your repayments. We are here to help.
Why you should borrow local
- Credit Union ethos is a not for profit but for service financial co-operative
- Your Credit Union is a small local business and also needs your support
- Communities must support their credit unions in order for them to survive
- The Credit Union movement is a vital part of the economy.
- The availability of credit leads to an increase in spending, thus increasing income levels across the economy.
- Emergency borrowing is available for those worried about making ends meet.
- Flexible loan repayments are available for those who are having difficulty.
- Our drive is to help our country get back on track.
- By supporting your Credit Union and borrowing from your Credit Union you are enabling us to continue our long tradition of lending to those in our society who can’t access credit from mainstream ‘FOR PROFIT’ commercial institutions
If you are not a Member of Core Credit Union, don’t worry it is very easy to join and only takes a couple of minutes, simply click here. Once you are a Member you can apply for a loan straight away.
Economists believe we are going to experience the worst recession since the Great Depression. Our local economy, communities and small businesses have suffered greatly as a result. We have seen our community spirit explode while in lockdown, so let’s work together to support businesses and spend locally.
“When you spend locally it keeps money circulating locally”
Did you know?
For every €10 you spend locally, it generates more than €40 of benefit in the local community. Accountants, insurance brokers and suppliers all use local services who employ local people. By spending locally, we are keeping our friends and family employed.
Why you should spend locally
- By shopping locally, we support our towns and villages and keep our butchers, jewellers, pharmacies, brewers, distillers, confectioners, post offices, fashion, electronics and hardware stores, and all our local shopkeepers in business.
- Local business is essential for our economy.
- It brings growth and innovation to our communities.
- Small businesses provide employment and create entrepreneurship opportunities and support the local economies, communities and neighbourhoods.
- They know their customers by name; they are our neighbours and friends. They are what make our towns special and unique.
Support Small and Local Businesses
Businesses are starting to re-open so now is the time to play your part, this can be as small as sharing a post on social media to let other people know they are open, other ways you can help include:
- Shop your local stores online! Most retailers are now offering their products on their website, even if they hadn’t been doing so previously.
- Buy gift cards or credit for later from your favourite restaurants, shops, hair salons, spas, childcare providers and hardware store.
- Order food for takeout or delivery – many restaurants are even offering pickup, so you don’t have to go inside!
- Check for delivery options at places other than restaurants. Your local toy store, flower shop or clothing boutique may provide delivery or pickup.
- Share local restaurant delivery menus on your social media.
- Check with the businesses you frequently shop with. They may have altered their services to fit the temporary ‘new normal’. For example, your local cleaners now may provide a disinfecting service, or maybe a toy store is now selling home school supplies.
- If you still have a steady income and the financial means to do it, continue to pay your cleaning people, hairstylist, nanny, etc. They need us and we need them
And remember your Credit Union is supporting you, local Members, the local community and local businesses. Talk to your local Credit Union today.